The Long Melford Heritage Centre celebrates its first year after it was officially opened by Dr Carenza Lewis. It opened following the success of test pit excavations in the village which were filmed as part of the BBC series the Great British Story. For the current 2013 season, it has revamped the whole display of local finds, and historic photographs.
One of the many benefits of the Heritage Centre has been the reemergence and display of local artefacts, either loaned or donated by villagers that have laid in lofts, or cupboards for years, and include near complete Roman pottery, and even original documents dating from the 1630’s.
One donation was an old photograph of a milestone that had disappeared from the village nearly 50 years ago. The Heritage Centre volunteers made a search of the area, and discovered the forgotten and still complete Milestone, which was partly buried within a road-side hedgerow.
Last weekend John Nunn, Rob Simpson and local volunteers excavated and successfully recovered the milestone, in readiness for a full restoration and road-side relocation at a later date.
The Milestone Society, who advised on the project, said it was at least about 200 years old and is in good condition, considering it dates back to the days these were commissioned under Turnpike Laws. It was also not registered on their records, so another piece of buried history has been discovered.
Access Cambridge Archaeology are looking to returning to Long Melford again this June for a Higher Education Field Academy. You can read about what was found during our last test pit excavations in Melford in 2011 on our website here.